As your Prosecuting Attorney, I have dedicated my professional life to serving the citizens of Hamilton County and helping keep Hamilton County one of the safest and best places to live in the entire country.
I have spent the last 27 years protecting victims' rights and aggressively prosecuting criminals right here in Hamilton County. Since 2011 I have been leading the Hamilton County Prosecuting Attorneys Office as your elected Prosecuting Attorney. Over that time, since I started as a young Deputy Prosecuting Attorney back in 1995, a lot has changed. Farmland throughout the county has been converted to residential neighborhoods, unprecedented economic development has occurred, and the population has grown from 140,914 in 1995 to over 350,000 today. Despite the monumental growth and change, one thing has not changed. Hamilton County has remained a wonderful and very safe place to live, often ranked as one of the top places in the nation to live, work and raise a family.
As your Prosecuting Attorney, I have worked closely with all of Hamilton County's law enforcement agencies over the last 11 years to help keep Hamilton County safe despite the incredible rapid growth we have experienced. During this time, cities throughout Hamilton County have consistently been recognized as some of the safest cities within Indiana.
In 2021, all four of Hamilton County's cities were again recognized on the list of the safest cities anywhere in Indiana. Incredibly, all four Hamilton County cities finished within the top 7 cities on the list, with Westfield placing 2nd, Carmel 3rd, Fishers 4th, and Noblesville 7th. This is an incredible record of safety that can only be achieved by the hard work of law enforcement working closely with and supported by my office to help keep our citizens safe. Hamilton County law enforcement is on duty 24/7/365 to help keep us safe and my office and I are available and on-call 24/7/365 to provide advise, support and assistance to our law enforcement partners. In 2021 alone my office worked with law enforcement on 39 Laird Red Flag cases, issued 650 Prosecutor Subpoenas, assisted in obtaining 1,350 search warrants, and we reviewed and screened over 4,500 cases submitted to us for review by member of the Hamilton County Law Enforcement community.
Lee's History with the Hamilton County Prosecuting Attorney's Office.
I started working as a Deputy Prosecuting Attorney in Hamilton County in 1995. After initially being assigned to handle misdemeanor and then low level felony offenses during my first two years, I spent the bulk of my first 16 years with the office handling major felony cases from financial and property crimes to violent offenses like rape, child molesting, burglary, robbery, and murder.
In 2010, I was approached by several community leaders who requested that I run for Prosecuting Attorney. I ultimately decided to run for Prosecuting Attorney for Hamilton County because I wanted to maintain the integrity of the office and the Hamilton County Criminal Justice System. (Link)
Lee's Accomplishments with the Hamilton County Prosecuting Attorney's Office Since Being Elected as Prosecuting Attorney in 2011.
- 2011-2021 - Operated within budget EVERY year since I took office. Through effective implementation of efficiency measures or utilization of other cost saving moves, I have returned budgeted money to the county general fund every year since 2011. To date, the total amount of budgeted funds returned to the county general fund between 2011 and 2021 exceeds 2.4 million dollars. (2,467,501.30)
- 2011-2021 - Help organize and oversee the Hamilton County Sexual Assault Response Team, widely recognized as one of the top SART teams in the State of Indiana.
- 2011-2021 - Child Support Division of the Prosecuting Attorney's Office has helped collect millions of dollars of child support every year on behalf of custodial parents in Hamilton County. The office routinely exceeds the performance measures established by the State and Federal government. (Amount collected since 2011 exceeds 100 million dollars.)
- 2011 - Restructured the office and established a screening team with redistributed personnel to be more responsive to law enforcement and more efficiently and effectively process the thousands of cases that are submitted to the office each year.
- 2011 - Dedicated resources and personnel to the newly created Hamilton County Drug Court program.
- 2012 - Converted the office to an electronic digital case managment system to more efficiently, effectively, and economically process the tens of thousands of documents handled by the office every year.
- 2013 - Continued moving forward with implementation and improvements to efficiency through continued refinements of the electronic case managment system.
- 2013 - Assigned Domestic Violence Deputy Prosecuting Attorney recognized as Prosecutor of the Year by the Indiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence.
- 2014 - Dealt with significant overhaul of the Indiana Criminal Code by the Indiana legislature via HEA 1006.
- 2014 - Began participating in the Hamilton County Evidence Based Decision Making pilot project initiative. Hamilton County judges, working with the Indiana Supreme Court Judicial Center program, began a major EBDM initiative. The group initially worked on mapping out the Hamilton County Criminal Justice System to evaluate and determine areas for improvement in operations and case processing.
- 2015 - Elected as an Officer of the Indiana Prosecuting Attorney's Association.
- 2015 - Dedicated resources and personnel to the newly created Hamilton County Veterans Court program.
- 2016 - Navigated the transition to electronic filing as a pilot county for the State of Indiana.
- 2016 - Began working with the Hamilton County Judiciary as they initiated Hamilton County's participation in the pre-trial release pilot program through the Indiana Supreme Court office of Judicial Services.
- 2016 - Began participating in the Hamilton County Juvenile Detention Alternative Program spearheaded by Hamilton County's Circuit Court Judge.
- 2016-2022 - Navigated the office through multiple law enforcement agencies adopting the widespread implementation of body cameras over the last 6 years.
- 2017 - Began assigning DPA's to initial hearings as part of the Hamilton County pilot project involving the Criminal Rule 26 pre-trial program.
- 2018 - Began revising processes related to video evidence sharing between law enforcement and the HCPAO in light of the increased utilization of body cams.
- 2019 - Added a second Sex Crimes Deputy Prosecuting Attorney to more effectively and efficiently evaluate and prosecute cases involving sexual assault and child molesting.
- 2019 - Charged and ultimately successfully prosecuted one of the first cases in the State of Indiana under the new Dealing a Controlled Substance Resulting in Death statute.
- 2019 - Began process of transition to e-discovery in order to increase efficiency and create economic savings for the office.
- 2019 - Established the Hamilton County Domestic Violence Task Force, partnering with law enforcement throughout Hamilton County, Prevail Inc., Department of Children's Services, and other community partners to help protect victims of domestic violence and their families.
- 2020 - Dedicated additional resources to working on Laird Red Flag law cases to ensure that individuals who are dealing with a mental health crisis have had their guns legally removed from their possession.
- 2020 - Added a second Domestic Violence Deputy Prosecuting Attorney to more effectively prosecute cases involving domestic violence.
- 2020 - Led the office through the transition as all staff other than Lee and the lead Administrative Assistant began working from home during the first 3 months of Covid-19.
- 2021 - Continued effectively leading the office through multiple jury trial pauses and continued remote video operations.
- 2021 - Elected to serve as President of the Indiana Prosecuting Attorney's Association.
The office has frequently served as a resource for prosecuting attorney's offices throughout the state over the years when it comes to adopting effective and efficient processes for improving the way in which the office operates in our ever increasing digital world.